Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Political Marketing


It is the day after the elections and I am a little disappointed in the Marketing efforts of the Idaho candidates. I can't believe how many lame ads on my TV I sat through about how bad a candidates opponent will be for Idaho. Gerry Brady's entire campaign was how both He and Idaho are not for sale. A slam on Butch Otter's once position that Idaho should sell some public land. Of course Butch couldn't just leave it alone, he had is own slew of ads slamming Brady.

I wish politicians would live by three simple rules.

  • Tell me why you are qualified for the job.
  • Tell me what side of the major issues you are on.
  • Tell me what your most important goals are when you are in office.

I think election day would be much easier if every candidate would follow these simple steps. Perhaps there could be a few less red, white, blue and (insert a bright color here) posters on every street corner as well. Too much clutter. I guess most importantly I want people to represent what they stand for and if elected, do what you said you were going to do and make a concerted effort to find out what the people want. I think once elected, some government officials forget who they are there for.

Just my quick take on political candidates.

No comments: