Wednesday, November 22, 2006

SaaS (Software as a Service)

I am always interested in how great ideas come about. One of the most best ideas and movements in the software industry lately is Software as a Service (go here for a definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_as_a_Service). I am a CRM program administrator that uses SalesForce.com. I can log-in securely to our companies data from any computer in the world. There have been many occasions when I have been away from my computer, or my computer decided not to work and I could log onto the internet and do my work.

I thought I would list a view great SaaS vendors.
www.salesforce.com
www.sugarcrm.com
www.webex.com
www.atroad.com
www.google.com (docs & spreadsheets, calender, blogger, etc.)

There are a few drawbacks to SaaS. Companies will need to build infrastructures to keep up with demand. If the servers go down or something else happens that hinders a users experience, customers will go elsewhere. The great thing about the software industry today is that you can get the entire LAMP (linux, apache, MySQL & perl/php) stack for little or no coat. This allows companies to purchase commodity hardware and load a stack of hardware for a fairly inexpensive cost.

The more and more the internet moves towards Web 2.0, the more companies will start moving towards SaaS. If you are building a company, make sure to look into saving costs with vendors that provide Software as a Service.

1 comment:

Sam Wonder said...

ezTalks is the world's leading online video conferencing provider that enables you to connect with people anywhere and anytime. Integrated with HD video conferencing, audio conferencing, screen sharing, content sharing, remote control and other powerful features, it can be widely applied to all industries
business video conference
screen share google hangout
open source video conferencing